Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Birthday Applied OLAP

Last Monday, we reached a milestone at Applied OLAP as it was the 15th anniversary of our incorporation.  I founded Applied OLAP on March 18, 1998, because I was not satisfied with the status quo of Essbase reporting at the time which was, of course, the classic Excel add-in.  And, despite the fact that I was one of the original five Microsoft Excel MVP's in the world, I was frustrated by inherent limitations in the add-in which meant limitations to what users could do with the spreadsheet.   So, being the totally unreasonable* person that I am, I quit my job in order to start a company focused on making it easier for users to leverage Essbase.  Flash forward 15 years and now we have Dodeca!

*One of my favorite quotes is from the playwright, George Bernard Shaw:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
 

Am I unreasonable?  Why yes.  Yes I am!

1 comment: