Wednesday, January 28, 2009

So Long Performance Point

Some of my friends in the Hyperion world thought they were jumping-the-line by getting a headstart on turning their attentions over to Microsoft Performance Point. Well, it looks like they jumped too fast. Microsoft made a somewhat surprising announcement last Friday. According to Visual Studio Magazine:

"Microsoft will discontinue its PerformancePoint business intelligence product and will merge its function into SharePoint Server, the company said late last week."

The information for this statement apparently came from a post on a Microsoft BI blog posting at http://blogs.msdn.com/bi/archive/2009/01/23/microsoft-bi-strategy-update.aspx.

The OLAP Report has written a report detailing the reasons at http://www.olapreport.com/Comment_Bizdemise.htm.

To my friends who had left to concentrate on Performance Point, welcome back! I wondered why I had seen you all answering questions on the Hyperion forums recently.. <BigGrin>

2 comments:

Oudi Antebi said...

While the recent announcement on PerformancePoint “moving” into SharePoint might sound like a good move, People don’t really understand the full picture.

here is our analysis on the recent announcement: http://www.panorama.com/blog/?p=133

Tim Tow said...

Oudi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog.. For those of you who may not know, Panorama technology was purchased by Microsoft to create their Analysis Server product. I remember having an alpha of it in my laptop case at Dimensions '96 in Santa Clara back when it was called 'Plato'; I never did install it.

Tim