I have been using Essbase for over 14 years now and have got it to run just about anywhere. Sometimes it took a few tweaks and sometimes, such as in getting it to run on Windows 7, is quite a bit more involved. Still, I got it working.
Recently, there was a post on the Network 54 board about a problem getting EAS 184.108.40.206 running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server:
Typically, I wouldn't expect this to be a problem but it was. We did a bit of research and found that one of the dlls, jmaxl.dll, called a function in the operating system that apparently did not exist in Windows 2000. When you see this, there is basically nothing you can do.
Last week, we saw a similar issue with 220.127.116.11 while doing QA on the Olap Underground utilities. We found the Essbase VB API for 18.104.22.168 does not appear to initialize properly on Windows 2000. What that means to Olap Underground users is that those products will no longer work on Windows 2000 if they upgrade to 22.214.171.124.